HAZRAT LUT علیہ السّلام
Name and Lineage:
Hazrat Lut علیہ السلام son of Haraan son of Taarukh is the nephew of Hazrat Ibrahim علیہ السلام. His mention is existing in the Holy Quran and the previous religious books.
Hazrat Lut علیہ السلام migrated from Babil (Iraq) to Palestine, along with his uncle Hazrat Ibrahim علیہ السلام. After some time, Hazrat Lut علیہ السلام went into a city which is nearly eighteen miles away from the city of Hazrat Ibrahim علیہ السّلام to preach of the religion. That city name was ‘Sodom’ (one of the cities of Jordon, near Dead Sea). This has been interpreted as “Al-Mu'tafikah” (اَلْمُؤْتَفِکَۃ) in one of the chapters of Quran. (Surah-al-Najm: 53)
The Blessings of Almighty Allah upon the Sodom Nation, and their defiance:
This nation was very proud, insensitive and disobedient and it was the biggest sin of them that they used to have sexual relation with men despite of women. The towns of Sodom were very populated and quite fertile. Grains and fruits were found in abundance over there. They had become so accustomed to this evil (pederasty), that despite of forbidding so many times, they did not leave this bad deed. Eventually, Allah’s torment was sent upon them.
The Evils of the Nation of Lut علیہ السلام:
The biggest evil of the ‘homosexuality’ was in them (the habit of committing this evil with men was abundantly found in them). To sit along the way and block the way of travelers and pedestrians, to commit this evil deed forcibly with them, to rob people sitting in the way and to kill people and loot their wealth, all these things were included in their bad habits. These evil habits of the nation of Hazrat Lut علیہ السلام are still existing in the present generations, which is an open revolt with Shariah, and it is an invitation to the torment of Allah. Some evils of the nation are mentioned here:
- To go into the male-gatherings just for staring the men to choose the particular person for committing this evil deed and to spend whole day in pigeon-flying and betting on them. People are also committing this evil nowadays.
- To apply Henna on their hands like a woman. Remember! To apply Henna on the hands of Males is not allowed, except as medicine.
- To throw pebbles here and there and to tease the pedestrians. Similarly, to hurt people by throwing pebbles from the guns. This habit of the nation of Hazrat Lut علیہ السلام is existing among the people of today.
- To hit and slap each other, (one came from one side and hit someone another came from the different direction and hit the same person). This absurd deed was their nature, which was actually the sign of their being vagabonds.
- To break wind with loud sound among the people and it was considered their pride. Though, this immoral act is a cause of the embarrassment for the gentlemen.
- To snap the fingers, without any reason, it is ‘Makrooh’ (obnoxious deed) because this was a deed of the nation of Lut علیہ السّلام and it is also considered absurd act at this time.
- The act of taking off the trousers or shirts in front of people for fun. It was one of the most evil acts of that nation, which has been named as a modern fashion in today’s world.
Abusing and using immoral language just for fun, which has been one of the common practice of the modern generation, they consider themselves as modern and well cultured people. If a gentleman stops them doing such acts of immorality, they call him illiterate, uncultured, and conservative person and they say, the world has gone far ahead (in immodesty) but they are still behind the fourteen hundred years. You must develop yourself and promote your nation by studying scientific knowledge but do not invite the punishment of Almighty Allah by becoming immodest. In short, all types of indecency were found in that nation and every act except modesty was considered pleasing to them. Munching gum-mastic or chewing Miswak were also the bad deeds of the nation of Hazrat Lut علیہ السلام. This is such deed that others feel disgusted from it and which creates the nausea in the heart, as will as it causes vomiting for more sensitive person. In the modern age, chewing gum, extracting it then, taking into mouth again and inflating it in front of others, is the reflection of the evil habit of that nation, and it is also the sign of the stupidity.
The Torment over the Nation of Hazrat Lut علیہ السلام:
Hazrat Lut علیہ السلام addressed to his nation:
- وَلُوۡطًا اِذْ قَالَ لِقَوْمِہٖۤ اِنَّکُمْ لَتَاۡتُوۡنَ الْفٰحِشَۃَ ۫ مَا سَبَقَکُمۡ بِہَا مِنْ اَحَدٍ مِّنَ الْعٰلَمِیۡنَ اَئِنَّکُمْ لَتَاۡتُوۡنَ الرِّجَالَ وَ تَقْطَعُوۡنَ السَّبِیۡلَ ۬ۙ وَ تَاۡتُوۡنَ فِیۡ نَادِیۡکُمُ الْمُنۡکَرَ ؕ فَمَا کَانَ جَوَابَ قَوْمِہٖۤ اِلَّاۤ اَنۡ قَالُوا ائْتِنَا بِعَذَابِ اللہِ اِنۡ کُنۡتَ مِنَ الصّٰدِقِیۡنَ۔
“And Lut (علیہ السّلام) when he said to his people, “You surely do shameful work which none did before you in the whole world. Do you come into males and cut off the highway and practice wickedness in your councils, but his people had no reply but they said, bring on us the torment of Allah if you are the truthful.” (Surah-Al-Ankabut: 29)
Hazrat Lut علیہ السلام wanted to save his nation from the torment of Allah; on the contrary, his nation announced that,
- قَالُوۡا لَئِنۡ لَّمْ تَنۡتَہِ یٰلُوۡطُ لَتَکُوۡنَنَّ مِنَ الْمُخْرَجِیۡنَ
“They said, “O Lut (علیہ السّلام)! if you do not desist then you will be expelled”. (Surah Ash-Shu‘ara: 127)
- قَالُوۡا یٰلُوْطُ اِنَّا رُسُلُ رَبِّکَ لَنۡ یَّصِلُوۡۤا اِلَیۡکَ فَاَسْرِ بِاَہۡلِکَ بِقِطْعٍ مِّنَ الَّیۡلِ وَلَا یَلْتَفِتْ مِنۡکُمْ اَحَدٌ اِلَّا امْرَاَتَکَ ؕ اِنَّہٗ مُصِیۡبُہَا مَاۤ اَصَابَہُمْؕ اِنَّ مَوْعِدَہُمُ الصُّبْحُؕ اَلَـیۡسَ الصُّبْحُ بِقَرِیۡبٍ فَلَمَّا جَآءَ اَمْرُنَا جَعَلْنَا عٰلِیَہَا سَافِلَہَا وَ اَمْطَرْنَا عَلَیۡہَا حِجَارَۃً مِّنۡ سِجِّیۡلٍ۬ۙ مَّنۡضُوۡدٍ مُّسَوَّمَۃً عِنۡدَ رَبِّکَؕ وَمَا ہِیَ مِنَ الظّٰلِمِیۡنَ بِبَعِیۡدٍ۔
The Angels said, “O Lut (علیہ السّلام)! we are sent by your Lord (جل جلالہ). They cannot reach you, take away your family in the night and none should turn round except your wife. She will also have what will reach them. Surely their promise is in the morning. Is not the morning near? When Our command came. We turned the township down and rained the stones of baked clay upon it continuously, which are marked and have your Lord (عزوجل)and those stones are not far from the unjust people”. (Surah Hud (علیہ السّلام), V 81-83)
This great messenger of Almighty Allah passed away on 29th of Jamadi-us-Thani. His shrine is located in Jordon.مزید